The United Way of the Tanana Valley had its beginnings in 1956 as the Fairbanks Federated Fund. 1965 witnessed the establishment of the United Good Neighbors. Seven agencies were part of the
original organization. In 1972, the organization changed its name to the United Way of the Tanana Valley to identify more easily with the United Way movement across the nation.